OKEECHOBEE RETIRED EDUCATORS

Okeechobee Retired Educators Association :: Member Association of the Florida Retired Educators Association Member Association of the Florida Retired Educators Association
Contact Us

ORNAMENTS:

 

2009 - FIRST UNITED METHODIST CHURCH (1915)

  • CHRISTMAS IN OKEECHOBEE COUNTY Limited Edition Ornament
  • ORNAMENT Details:
    • 500 Produced
    • 24 karat gold on brass
    • numbered certificate with historical information
    • 2009
  • Historical Information (taken from certificate):
    First United Methodist Church of Okeechobee was organized in May, 1915 by Rev. W.W. Troutman and seven members. In 1916, following a tent revival, sufficient labor and materials were donated to build their first house of worship.

    The present red brick church was constructed between 1922 and 1924 under the leadership of Pastor F.L. Crowson. In 1921, Rev. Crowson invited his friend, Hon. William Jennings Bryan, to give a lecture in Okeechobee and the proceeds of that lecture were donated by him as "seed money" for the construction of the present church.

    Subsequent improvements include a pipe organ and chimes in 1947; a project begun under the leadership of Pastor Larry Krewson in 1991 wherein the large Rose window was replaced with a stained glass Ascending Christ and the twelve existing windows were replaced with stained glass representing the twelve Apostles, all of which are memorials donated by members of the congregation: and under the leadership of Pastor Bruce Simpson and Associate Pastor Jim Dawson, the sanctuary has recently been remodeled.

    Each day at noon, the chimes play beautiful hymns for the whole city to enjoy. (History written by retired Hon. Judge William "Bill" Hendry.)
  • Purchase - SOLD OUT.
    Sorry, this ornament is no longer available.
Okeechobee Retired Educators Association :: Member Association of the Florida Retired Educators Association   Mailing Address:
PO Box 116
Okeechobee, FL  34973-0116
Powered by McCool Design